Youth Mobilization – Cultural Heritage and Athletic Valorization
YMC(H)A project brought together partners from Greece and Bulgaria with a belief that better quality of life can be achieved by the protection and promotion of cultural heritage and engaging directly with citizens. Sports activities and sports history are part of intangible heritage and a symbol of the cultural diversity of both societies. They are also an efficient mean to convey values of solidarity, diversity, inclusiveness and cultural awareness. University of Rilski and YMCA cooperated in order to preserve, promote and develop sports and sports educational programmes, and to ensure that they form an integral part of national and development strategies.
The overall objective of YMC(H)A project was to provide partners and other bodies engaged in policy making on the promotion of sports as part of the cultural heritage with infrastructure and guidance on how to promote sports in a sustainable way.
The results of the project refer to the follow concepts:
- communication and interaction among young people with the use of state-of-the art technological interventions,
- strengthen attractiveness of cultural centers among young people
- transform current cultural centers into centers for sustainable development
- increase the quantity of young people and teachers to use ICT
- ensure the harmonious, balanced and sustainable development of the cross border area
- development of educational applications that will enhance cultural awareness
- provide the infrastructure for future development
Euroaction SA undertook the initiative for preparing the project proposal and submitting it to the ETCP Greece – Bulgaria 2007-2013. During the implementation stage, we provided technical support and consultancy to the Young Men’s Christian Association of Thessaloniki (YMCA Thessaloniki) (P2) for the coordination of the implementation. Furthermore, we were assigned the development of the multimedia applications for the new Basketball Museum, including:
- audiovisual material
- digital educational quiz for children
- virtual basketball game
The opening ceremony for the Basketball Museum took place in December 2013.
The success of the project becomes apparent both by the impressive number of people, especially children and teenagers, who visit the new Basketball Museum and the international awards that it has received. The University of “Neofit Rilski” (LP) received the award “Cultural diversity and identity, linguistic diversity and local content” by the International Communication Union in the frame of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum 2015.